ABOUT NATIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE SYSTEM
- National Health Insurance Corporation http://www.nhic.or.kr Contact No. : 1577-1000
- Health Insurance System
he health insurance is a social security system design to promote the public's health by providing an insurance service on diagnose, treatment, rehabilitation, birth, death including prevention of disease and injury. The premium collected from the public is safely accumulated until the medical expense is required for the public.
ACUIRING PROCESS OF HEALTH INSURANCE FOR FOREIGNERS AND OVERSEAS KOREAN
- Initial Acquisition
- Alien residents will be eligible to acquire health insurance 3 months after their entrance into Korea. Foreigners and alien residents who have not resided in Korea for 3 months but can prove that they will be residing in Korea for more than 3 months due to studies, employment and/or marriage may acquire health insurance on the day of their entrance to Korea.
- Overseas Koreans and foreigners who wish to acquire a residence certificate must submit their "Change of Place of Sojourn" application and the documents listed below to the appropriate office.
- ① Overseas Koreans: Copy of their Alien Residence Registration, original copy of their Certificate of Alien Registration, passport (with certificate of entry and departure), and documents needed for insurance fee levy such as Certificate of Income).
- ② Foreigners: Copy of their Alien Registration Certificate, original copy of their certificate of domestic residence, certificate of entry and departure (passport), and documents included in Table 8 according to sojourn status.
- ③ Overseas Koreans with foreign citizenship: Copy of Alien Registration Certificate, copy of certificate of domestic residence, certificate of entry and departure (passport), and documents included in Table 8 according to sojourn status.
- ※ Foreigners and Overseas Koreans whose study programs or employment have been recognized (eligible for acquisition on day of entry).
- Study Programs - Students with a D2 Visa or overseas Koreans studying in Korea (Certificate of Studentship for Overseas Koreans).
- Undergraduate students (undergraduate and graduate students are required to submit documents the same as change of sojourn).
- Employment: Foreigners with D5, D7-D9, E1-E10 and H2 visas, overseas Koreans (Certificate of Employment required).
- Others: Immigrants by marriage (Certificate of Kinship, Certificate of Marriage required).
subscribers in working place pay 4.48% from their monthly salary and it is shared 50/50 by both the subscriber and the company the subscriber work for. The local subscribers pay by tallying income, asset, vehicle and number of family (gender, ages) and some part of premium is supported by the government; 35% from the Treasury and 15% from Health Promotional Fund.